Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Energy Bars



I'm always looking for healthy breakfast and snack options for the family. Most energy bars you buy are packed with sugars and I'm not always certain of all the ingredients. I like making my own because I know exactly what's in them and these bars are full of all kinds of goodness: whole wheat flour, wheat germ, nuts, fruits and pure maple syrup. I used apricots, raisins, and dates and I think the next time I make them, I won't add as much fruit. These were a little on the sweet side. Hope you feel energized!!

Ingredients

  • Cooking spray
  • 1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup raw unsalted sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
  • 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup dried apricots
  • 1/2 cup raw almonds
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup pitted dried dates
  • 1/2 cup powdered nonfat dry milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
  • 2 large eggs

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9 by 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.

Place all ingredients except the syrup and eggs in a food processor and pulse until the mixture is finely chopped. Add the syrup and eggs and pulse until the mixture is well combined. It will resemble a coarse paste.

Transfer to the baking pan and spread evenly. Bake until just done, about 20 minutes. Cut into 20 squares.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yum. Wish you lived in Kansas City :)